Thursday, October 1, 2015

On timing, chains, timing chains, and me slacking

To my tens of loyal readers:

Apologies on the lack of anything substantive this week.  The timing chain on my car's engine broke late Sunday/early Monday morning.  If you're unfamiliar with the mysteries of modern internal combustion engines, this means that the engine suffered catastrophic damage, leaving me without a way to get around on my own.  My time this week has been swallowed by alternately crapping my pants, breaking out in cold sweats, and finding a new vehicle.

As of yesterday afternoon, I am back on the road, thanks in large part to an unexpectedly strong support network who got me in touch with the people I needed to 1) find a car, 2) get an excellent rate on a car loan, and 3) haul my ass around until I got things squared.  You people know who you are, and you have my thanks.

I should be able to get something new slapped together over the weekend.  To the 13 people who checked my blog this week hoping for something new and interesting, I apologize.

I'll be back soon, so bear with me,

Doug

2 comments:

  1. Doug,

    I hope you use your mechanical experiences this week to dive into the world of automotive mechanics as the topic for your next Blog. When the auto technician is explaining to me at the shop what is wrong with my car, I am staring with glazed eyes taking a quick vacation and I finally tune back in when he says "It is going to cost $X" and my fears for X in the high 3-figure range or even 4-figures (see BOHICA - Bend Over Here it Comes Again) become reality. I make myself laugh when my wife then asks me what's wrong with the car, I say "The Johnson Rod is broken again". Shades of Beevis and his partner Butthead, "Huhhh huhhh, heee, heee, he said Johnson Rod".

    Have I peaked your interest yet?

    I may be one of 13, but I am advertising and enjoy your wit and power of the pen.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 figure estimates are the best when they exceed the value of the car, like my engine repair did this week. I'm happily back on the road now, but I have definitely thought about discussing, among other things, how I cannot smell a truck's diesel exhaust without thinking of home. If it isn't engine or transmission, I can generally fix most things myself, so let me know the next time your brakes start squealing (that's a 2-beer fix, and cheap too).

      Delete